Five companions setting out on an adventure to the unknown.
Dad and I on the morning of the second day with the Grand Teton in the far background.
We crossed fields and fields of wildflowers with absolutely beautiful colors.
Looking back across the Death Canyon Shelf
So we came around the corner and what we saw was the Alaskan Basin with it's flowing streams, wildflowers and mountain lakes. Wow
Battleship Mountain...as you can see
Standing on top of Hurricane Pass at 10,400 feet just an arms length away from the Grand Teton.
The view from one of our campsites, unreal!
One rugged trail
Good friends for over three decades together again for the first time in fifteen years.
Another mountain lake with crystal clear water
The view of the Teton Range the day after we got out. We had wonderful weather for our trip but the day after the range got slammed with large thunderstorms. We managed to stay dry and have an amazing time. If you look carefully though I think you can see Buck with all of his rain gear running for shelter!! He spent one more night on the mountain without us ;-) I must say something about my Uncle Buck...hiking with him is a little like WalMart in the back country. He has everything you need and as the hike continued prices were falling!!So as I ponder the quote that I used for the title "You've come far pilgrim...feels like far" it carries a different meaning then it did before. When originally stated on the trip by my father about the route that we had taken it meant simply that...we had walked a long ways. But as the trip continued and conversations grew it became a greater expression of life. I'm not sure if it's possible to take a trip like this and not reflect on life and God. After all it is God's country and we were able to experience it in such a unique way. We were also able to build relationships with one another and learn more about life's challenges.
I met a man my father had been friends with for over thirty years. He was a great guy and it was a pleasure getting to know him and meet a man that had known my father long before I was around. He has recently been dealing with some difficult things in life and has found himself in a new place searching for answers. This is a similar situation for my parents. Although the circumstances are greatly different the questions and search for answers are similar. In life we sometimes find ourselves not knowing what to do next, feeling overwhelmed by the situation, feeling trapped and frustrated by the unknown.
I don't pretend to have all the answers or believe in my thirty years, yes almost thirty years, that I have seen it all. I do know however that through the struggles my wife and I have encountered (health, finances, moving, and any other stress young families have) that we've always managed to make it through. I don't believe we could have ever done it alone.
So as you step off the tram and look out across the great unknown with great valleys, ridges and climbs realize that it is all part of a greater plan. As we cross highs and lows in life there is great beauty and great struggle. At times it may feel hopeless and that the end may never come. But as you cross the ridge and the wind tries to blow you off the edge realize that you need to do nothing more than put one foot in front of the other and look to God. He created the heavens and the earth and took the time to create and love each one of us. He will not forget you, He will guide you through and will bring you to the other side. Then when it is all over you can look back and think about what a journey it was. Building great memories, great relationships and great character.
So pull up a saddle, grab your red cowboy hat and your assless leather chaps and toast your glass of wine cowboy. Life is what it is....it's life. Love ya all
1 comment:
Wonderful pictures and beautiful narration! Thanks for sharing, makes this Wyoming cowgirl homesick!
Post a Comment