Some of you may not know that about a month ago Mason became the proud owner of two little water frogs. (Thank you Uncle Ryan) Much to my dismay Ryan decided it would be really great to promise Mason two frogs without my permission. Awesome. It's not that I have anything against frogs, I just don't like the way they smell, cleaning the bowl, feeding them, or the fact that the kids think its really cool to hold them. So, uncle Ryan and Mason return home from the frog finding extravaganza to show off the newest pets. The first thing I noticed was that the biggest one was missing a very important feature. NO ARM. I can hear you laughing already...I was not being mean, nor did I think we should take it back...but for those of you who know me, I was trying to hold it together. Mason hadn't noticed. Later in the day when he did, he said, "Poor frog, I'm glad we got him, he's mine and I don't want anyone else to have him". Yep, my thoughts exactly.
The morning after we got the frogs Mason came upstairs to proclaim the names he had chosen. Odie and Dorothy. (Odie being the one armed bandit) Leave it to Mason. For a month we have taken care of them, and all the way until tonight I still couldn't see Odie without laughing. You really should have seen the poor thing try to swim to the top of the bowl for air. And of course because he was missing an arm it would make me think of the one armed go-go dancer which would then naturally carry my mind to Hoppy...etc,etc,etc. and I never could get past it.
Tonight when we got home Mason ran down to feed the frogs. A few moments later he yelled, "Hey mom, do frogs sleep?" Oh great! Yep, Odie was a goner. Mason burst into tears and cried and cried and cried. Then he told me that Odie probably died because he had a harder time swimming for the food. Is it terrible to laugh while your child is bawling? Finally, he said he wanted to talk to uncle Ryan. We put him on the phone and Ryan said, "Mas, don't worry, Odie's in froggy Heaven and I'm sure he's happy there." To which Mason replied, "No he's not! He's at the bottom of the frog bowl." Oh well, hopefully Dorothy sticks around awhile longer...
2 comments:
Poor, Poor, little Mason....he truly has a sick Mother!!! Your compassion for poor little Odie is sooooo sincere! I can just see that poor pitiful little frog trying to survive with one little arm....so so sad!! Maybe he and Hoppy are together now.
If anything ever happens to me God help our relationship because all she'll ever do is laugh at me.
Post a Comment