

Anyone who has been through it knows how hard it is. Sending your baby to KINDERGARTEN! Who would have thought that 8:15 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. could last the entire day? This is the hardest thing I've had to do in my short career as a Mother. Putting on his great big backpack, combing his hair, watching him dress up in big boy clothes...all exciting and heartbreaking! I guess it was so difficult because on the way to school all I could think about was how the first day of kindergarten marks the first day of an onslaught of devastating experiences as a Mother. (Of course, this wasn't much easier for Daddy.)
I know it's exciting for him, and he's so happy to be in school. But, he's my little buddy. He has been a permanent, everyday fixture in my life for 5 1/2 years. The changes are just beginning. Josh and I decided after the first day that half day Kindergarten must have been created for parents, not kids.
We got to go with him for his first day. It was awesome. We spent a lot of time with his teacher, and she visited with each child one on one. When we dropped him off for his first "official" day, he met a few kids in his class and happily marched up the long stairway, FORGETTING to wave. Josh had to yell his name to get him to turn around.
He's going to a private Christian school (thank God!) and we're ecstatic about his teachers and her aides. Before Mason went inside she had all the parents gather around the kids and pray for them. Then they handed out slips of paper for the parents after the kids had left. Isaiah 49:15 & 16a "Can a woman forget her nursing child, and not have compassion on the son of her womb? ...I will not foret YOU. See, I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands..." Yeah, thanks for that!
His teacher walked him out to the car after school. She told us that he was wonderful to the other kids and had "obedience in his eyes." He was the first to listen to her instructions. It made us feel really good that she seemed to pick up on characteristics that are true of our little man. She shared with us what her prayer was for him for this school year. I don't remember when I've cried as hard as I did after seeing him walk into school...and I think my face hurt from smiling after hearing all about how great his first day was. All in all, a success.
If you are reading this blog, click on the song "In My Arms" by Plumb on our playlist. (especially if you're a mom) I heard it on his first day. I cried so hard. This song puts all my feelings into words, feelings I could never hope to explain. It's dedicated to my miracle boy with more love than I understood (until he came on the scene)...
3 comments:
He was actually able to climb the stairs with that backpack? It looks like he'd get about five steps up and then tumble back down with that load! I hope that he loved his first day, but if he gets too excited about it, just remind him of how old I am... and that I'm still in school. It's a long, long, long road ahead... but best of luck Mason J!! And remember, don't eat the Elmer's Glue... it looks appetizing, but it's not.
Hey you guys, I love all of your pics, the kids are getting so big!! I can't believe our boys both started kindergarten, Amber I shared your tears. The site is great! I was cracking up. Hope all is well take care & lots of love from your cousin Amy
AMY!
So good to hear from you. Do you have a blog? If not, you really need to. We'd love to see the boys. Josh and I always talk about getting back to Ohio again. It is crazy that Samuel, Mason and Morgan all started kindergarten. We couldn't have planned that better if we tried : ) Keep in touch. Squeeze the little ones for us!
Post a Comment